6 Steps for Losing Weight at a Convention
I recently attended a convention in Las Vegas, during which I picked up some ideas on how to continue on my weight loss journey. Here are 5 simple steps for losing weight at a convention:
1. Drink tons of water. They give out water bottles, so take them! Make sure to stay hydrated, but not so much that you drown your body. It is possible. So know when enough water is enough.
2. Network your but off. Walk around and meet as many people as you can. You will be astonished by how much walking you actually do as you network.
3. Book your hotel as far away from the event as possible. It’s important to note that I did not plan to do this, but I booked the flight and hotel too late and ended up having to stay 2 miles from the Rio All-Suite Hotel and Casino. I figured it wouldn’t be a bad walk since there was a lot of sight seeing to do, but after a few minutes of lugging around a 20 lb backpack it got pretty tiring. I walked back and forth from my hotel to the Summit. That is 2 miles of walking each way, totaling 4 miles. Add that to the walking you do at the summit from networking and it’s a pretty good workout.
4. Do Burpees. What the heck are burpees? I learned what burpees were many years ago while in the military. I didn’t know they were referred to as burpees, but a couple of weeks ago Hoodworkout, a reader of Fat Man Unleashed, posted a video of with Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame performing burpees. I did these in the military and they kick your butt. There are several variations of the burrpee. For Example, in basic training they had us go down, perform a push up and alternate kicking our legs back and forth.
5. Wear layers. I wore 3 layers of clothing. I learned that it was always best to where layers, not matter what weather. It’s best to be able to shed layers, then it is to need to add layers. For the summit I wore my undershirt, my shirt, a sweater and then a vest or jacket. Can you say back sweat?
6. Go sightseeing. It’s a no brainer really, but if you are somewhere you have never been it’s a good idea to go sight seeing. Unless you are in some kind of dangerous ghetto or rain forest. Then I would advise you seek professional guides. But, otherwise just go walking and sight seeing, preferably during day light hours. Make sure to keep a map with you and remember your hotel name and address.
Well, that was my quick hitting 5 step list on how to lose weight while at a convention. Hope it helps.