Super Bowl Party Versus New Year’s Resolution
Okay, the Super Bowl is set. Israel’s New York Football Giants versus the undefeated and unstoppable New England Patriots. I don’t think the Giants have a chance, but I didn’t think they could beat the Buccaneers, the Cowboys, or the Packers.
Now that you know who is in the Super Bowl, you need to make plans to watch the game. You have three choices. You can:
- Attend someone else’s Super Bowl Party
- Throw your own Super Bowl Party
- Stay at home and watch the game all by yourself
I hope none of you are planning on choosing Choice #3. If you are, I invite you to go to Israel’s house to watch the game. Just don’t tell him I sent you.
Some of you are excited about the Super Bowl itself. Some of you are excited about the commercials. However, many of you are excited about the food you are going to eat. Many of you plan to eat junk foods and fast foods, but you don’t have to. With a little creativity, advanced thinking, and a few substitutions, you can turn an unhealthy Super Bowl Feast into a healthy Super Bowl Feast.
I will give you some examples, but you should think of your own also.
Healthy Substitution Ideas
- Drink light beers instead of regular beers
- Drink diet sodas instead of regular sodas
- Eat non-breaded buffalo wings instead of breaded buffalo wings
- Eat salsa instead of sour cream based dips
- Eat baked tortilla chips instead of fried
- Eat oven-fried chicken instead of pan-fried chicken
- Eat sandwiches made with lean meats, mustard, and whole wheat bread instead of sandwiches made with fatty meats, mayo, and white bread
- Eat South Beach Diet Pizzas instead of delivery
- Eat pizzas made with whole wheat crust and 2% mozzarella instead of pizzas made with white crust and regular fat mozzarella
- Eat sweet potato fries fried in canola oil or Terra Chips instead of regular French fries
- Use hot sauce/Tabasco sauce instead of ketchup
- Drink water or crystal light instead of juice
- Eat lean turkey burgers instead of beef burgers
The possibilities are endless. Just take your favorite foods and find a healthier option with fewer calories, grams of “bad” fats, and grams of “bad” carbs. And if you are going to someone else’s party, take some healthy options with you so you have something to eat and drink.